Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

Oh, man. This is legitimately the easiest, tastiest fresh tomato soup one can make. I know its weird that I make soup in the summer, but I just love, love soup. Even if I end up sweating while eating it!

This soups flavor does not match its simplicity. If you were to just taste this soup you would think, 'surely this is a complicated soup'. It is not. Unfortunately, I am the only one who appreciates tomatoes in my house, so I don't end up making this as often as I would like, Last week Troy was going to be at work late and planned to grab something for dinner on his way home. I hate when Troy works late, buuuuuuuuut making tomato soup makes these situations a teensy bit more bearable! You know that age old saying, tomato soup makes the heart grow fonder... that's it, right?

I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as I do!

Roasted Tomato Soup

10-13 Roma tomatoes, cut in half
I have also used vine-ripened and heirloom tomatoes. Heirlooms do not produce that traditional reddish tomato soup, unless you get all red heirlooms. If that bothers you then stick with romas or vine-ripend tomatoes, which are equally delicious. I stuck with romas this time because they were the most delicious and ripened tomatoes when I went to the store. ALSO, romas tend to be smaller than heirlooms and some vine-ripened tomatoes, so you might need less depending on the variety you choose. Phew, I am tired from all this tomato talk.

1 onion, cut into large chunks

5-6 or 8 cloves of garlic, depending on your preference
I always go big on the garlic. Trim the ends but leave the skin on the garlic to avoid burning.

2 cups of chicken stock, Do NOT add more stock without adding more tomatoes or you will have an icky wet soup. Blech. If you want to make more soup, you will need to add more tomatoes and stock.

Splash of cream, if you prefer

olive oil, course kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper

butter, for the pan when making the grilled cheese

french loaf of bread, I like to use wheat to offset the butter I use in the fry pan. I am not sorry.

provolone cheese, or whatever other type you prefer


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
On a cookie sheet, arrange your halved tomatoes, cut side up, your onion chunks and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, shake on the pan to spread it around. Generously season with kosher salt and black pepper.
Place in center of oven and roast for no more than 45 minutes- you want that roasted flavor and texture but you don't want to lose all those yummy tomato juices.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool. I roast the tomatoes while Emma naps, let them cool and cover them with foil until about 30 minutes before dinner time.

30 minutes before dinner, add all the tomatoes, onions, de-skinned garlic and juices into your soup pot or dutch oven. Resist the urge to pop a clove of the sweetened roasted garlic in your mouth.
Add your chicken stock and bring to a boil, Lower the heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes,

While the soup is simmering, heat your fry pan for the grilled cheeses. Add a pat of butter.

Toast the bread on one side, flip. Add your provolone cheese. Toast the other side.
Remove from the pan and put into a warmed oven, until dinner time,

If you have many sandwiches to make you may need to add more butter to the pan.
Once the soup has simmered for 15-20 minutes, use an immersion blender to smooth it out. You can also use a blender, but be very, very careful. Work in batches and leave the opening part of the lid off, to avoid burning.
I like my soup a bit rustic, so I just add a splash of cream, stir it up and serve it up. You can always strain your soup through a fine mesh strainer. I am too lazy and impatient for that.
Make this, love this and enjoy it for dinner and lunch! Leftovers are just as delicious!
This little love preferred the grilled cheese to the tomato soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Babbling with the Bogle(s) All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley