Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Turkey Sausage and Cheddar Quiche

Hello y'all. I feel like I need to address you all as y'all since I am sharing a Southern recipe today. I considered replacing 'hello' with 'howdy' but the yankee in me got a bit uncomfortable.

I made a quiche so easy, so delicious I just couldn't wait to share it with y'all! In fact this post is so rushed that I only took one picture of the entire process. You see I had planned to throw together a quiche and didn't think much of the whole process. I mean, what is simpler than a quiche, right? A quiche is the perfect thing to throw leftover meat and veggies in to make a quick and delicious meal. That was exactly my plan. I never intended to share the recipe via the blog. Plans changed, however, after serving Emma and myself up a piece of quiche. We could not control the 'mmmm...'s' that were emminating from our bodies. I jumped up and snapped a photo of a partially eaten quiche.

This is embarrassing, yes. I am confident though, that you will understand after making it for yourself.

Sausage and Cheddar Quiche, Y'all

1 refrigerated pie crust

1 lb mild turkey sausage

4 eggs, beaten

1 tbsp flour

splash of cream

1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese

salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a 9 inch pie plate, roll out your refrigerated pie crust. Pre-bake your crust for 10 minutes.

In a skillet, over medium heat cook your turkey sausage until all the pink is gone. Drain.
If you want to add fresh diced onion to your quiche, reserve about a tbsp of the turkey sausage grease and saute your onion at this time. Might as well add some freshly minced garlic for the last minute! man, I wish Troy liked onion... womp.

While the sausage is cooking, beat 4 eggs with a fork in a medium bowl. Add a splash of cream, whip.

Add the spices and cheeses to the egg mixture and combine.
I do not actually add salt because I feel the quiche has plenty of saltiness from the cheddar and parmesan.

By this time your crust should be done in the oven, as well as your sausage.

Put the sausage in the bottom of the crust and pour the cheese and egg mixture over the top.

Put the quiche back in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, until the eggs are set.

Let the quiche cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving up.
Try not to eat all the flaky bits of crust that fall off while you are cutting into the quiche.

I ate mine with a salad, but I am dreaming of eating it again with some roasted veggies. I like to roast a big batch of seasonal veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh garlic at the beginning of the week. That way I can snack on them all week long for lunch or alongside dinner.
This quiche is screaming... 'take a chance on me, despite my appearance!'

If you make this quiche, spend a little extra time on the crust for presentations sake. Or don't... obviously I didn't and it still tasted divine.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Babbling with the Bogle(s) All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley